Sunday, July 1, 2012

Hamams & A Date with Time


Any one who has read or visited Turkey knows that trip is incomplete until one has had a Turkish Bath, known locally as Hamam. And today, I had one. It was gooood. For maximum effect, I had it at the most recommended place in Istanbul, Cemberlitas Hamani. Built in 1584, this bath offers the Haman experience in a professional and wholesome environment.

I was shown my changing room where I undressed, and wrapped my towel around my waist. Next, I went to the bath room, which has doomed room. There were other men in the room for the same experience. I laid on the heated marble top, left to sweat for about 15 minutes. After that, a man in his 60s, with towel around his wait came to give me a birth. Ever imagined having your father giving you a bath? That was how it was like, except that this was a professional. Using my kese (a scrubber), the masseur scrubbed top layer off my skin. The deep tissue massage, the warm water, the generous lather made the experience very relaxing. After 20-30 minutes, he washed me off, and I was left alone to rinse myself off. And later, went up to my changing room where I was allowed to cool down before heading out to join my family.

 Ugo is set to go tomorrow. Will compare notes to see how different the experience is for both genders. For me, I am ready to go back.

Istanbul Archeological Museums.

We have been to a lot of museums, but this one stands out. And Amaka, who has read some books on Greek and Roman mythology, could relate. It has collections from Hellenistic and Roman Periods, Byzanthium. Pieces from Mesopotamia, Africa, Anatolia and the Arabic Peninsula are quiet represented. And certain references from the old testament came to life here.

Among the highlights: The Treaty of Kadesh from 13th Century BC. The first "known or found" written treaty between two nations: Hittite Empire and Egypt.


Alexander Sarcophagus from the 4th Century BC. Prepared for Alexander the Great, and is thought to belong to King of Sidon--present day Lebanon.


Several Sidon Sacrophagi









Glazed brick panel from way to Ishtar Gate. An amazing piece from 575 BC from Babylon built by the order of King Nebuchadnezzar  II.

 



Lion from the tomb of Halikamassos, one of the seven wonders of ancient world.

Busts of Emperor Augustus, Alexander the Great, Apollo, Zeus, Marsyas

Zeus:


Apollo:

Oceanus:

  

 
Emperor Augustus

Alexander the Great :


And the band played on!! (Military Museum)

The kids were entertained by the Mehter military band which performed 17th-18th century Ottoman military music in full period custom. Performance lasted just for an hour--which was perfect for the children. You can watch part of the performance here:

While in the Military Museum we surveyed some of the symbols of the empires military strength through the centuries.


EURO 2012 Finals!

What is there not to love about the La Roja last night. The game was entertaining, beating the Azuries Italians 4-0, total drubbing by the best team. Iniesta's performance, though without scoring, masterful. What a game! 

1 comment:

  1. You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you.
    Shower Faucets

    ReplyDelete